willowlane16

it's all small stuff

Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman
Simplify Your Work Life: Ways to Change the Way You Work So You Have More Time to Live
Elaine St. James
The Essential Earthman: Henry Mitchell on Gardening
Henry Mitchell
The Architecture of Happiness
Alain de Botton
The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body- Without Machines
Brooke Siler
First American Frontier
Wilma A. Dunaway
Financially Secure: An Easy-To-Follow Money Program for Women
Deborah McNaughton
The Flinch
Julien Smith

Open House: A Novel (Oprah's Book Club)

Open House - Elizabeth Berg I liked it. I felt brave for picking it up, bringing it home, because my husband had just told me he wanted a divorce, and the central character of the book is going through a similarly served entree, and I just felt like I wanted to see what it would be like when someone you really love leaves you. Live it vicariously, see if I was brave enough. Because I was seriously considering jumping off a bridge, and I wanted to see how someone might go through it and actually come out on the other side.Mind you, if hubby hadn't said it, I probably would not have picked up this book. But he did, and I felt woefully unarmed, unable, unwilling to go through all that. So I read the book.I loved the characters, with all their flaws that are not too cliche, too predictable. I love that she made some difficult decisions, fell flat on her face, picked herself up again, tried harder.I love that the person she falls in love with about 3/4 of the way through this book is not perfect.I love that she refuses to be alone as much as possible, by renting her home to a wonderful diversity of human beings, and that when she must be alone, she cries and lives through it. I needed that grounding, that soulful peace.This book is probably not for everyone. This weekend, my husband said he was sorry, that he took it back - and it wasn't too late; I only lived for five days with this grief and worry.Long enough to read this book, and to know that it is not a human failing to want more. And that life is a river, that we all want the same things: to be wanted, to reflect on things and find understanding in another person.